Another day, another ramble.
Took some early(ish) photos this morning of my large flowered hemerocallis, Egyptian Ibis (top), and Georgette Belden:
Ibis on its own:
…and a view from the back gate:
Some very pretty flowers, though I’m a little disappointed scent-wise.
I know that when my Madame Alfred Carriere rose and my pot of lilies come into flower there will be perfume to spare, but in the meantime the only thing in the whole garden that has noticeable scent is the phlox. It just seems to have happened that most of what I grow is there because it looks good…and stays alive(!)
Mindful of the fragrance shortfall, I grew a couple of pots of ten week stocks, but they don’t seem to smell of much other than a faint spiciness of an evening. I also ordered some pinks in early June that are now planted out in the border, but they have no flowers, ergo no scent, quite yet. I should give it some thought for next year: nicotiana might be a good idea since that has yielded excellent, almost overpowering scent for me in the past.
Yesterday morning I potted on my diascia cuttings into 9cm pots of a 60:40 mix of JI#2 and sand. I don’t know how this medium will perform – been trying all sorts of different combinations this year – but I guess I’ll soon see! I’ll keep them in the coldframe until the middle of next week (this is Saturday) to let them get over the root disturbance, then move them out into progressively sunnier positions. They have nice little root systems and they look good, but I’ll probably have to pinch them out in a while to get them branching.
On the veg front, I stopped my Sungold tomatoes the other day. They’d reached the top of their 6 foot canes, so I reckoned it was time. Gardener’s Delight still has about a foot or so to go to catch up, so I won’t be stopping that for a while yet. My runner beans (Firestorm) are looking leafy and healthy and there are a few flowers dotted around, but they’re being well and truly beaten by my French beans (Castandel) which have not only flowers but baby beans!
I’m glad the Castandel are doing well now because they had an inauspicious start. I tried germinating them indoors during May (the cold, late spring meant I didn’t attempt to start them outside at that point) and had a terrible success rate in getting them to come up. I eventually managed to raise three seedlings, so in June I hardened them off and planted them in a 14″ pot of multipurpose compost. They didn’t look all that promising, however, so I decided to shove a few beans in with them, one alongside each plant, to see what would happen.
What happened was that they ALL germinated, and quite quickly too, so I shall know not to bother to try and cosset them indoors next year – I’ll just bung ’em straight outdoors! Me being me, I couldn’t bring myself to dump any of them, so I now have a very small pot with a LOT of beans in it – 6 to be precise! It’ll be interesting to see what comes of this rather intensive cultivation: I’ve been feeding once a week with Miracle Gro since they were planted out, and now I’m feeding once a week with Tomorite, so that should help things along.
That’s about it for today. It was a LOT cooler than lately, so I haven’t had to dash out and do a rescue-watering, which made a change! Tomorrow we’ll be out, so I’ll have to make sure I drown everything thoroughly first thing: this proper summer weather has its price!