Dividing a Primrose
More of a “how-I-do” than a “how-to-do”, and very, very simple!
I have one primrose in a pot, and it was absolutely gorgeous this year – flowered its little socks off – so I’d like to increase it and dot a few around the shadier parts of my garden.
Here it is in said pot:
It’s not desperately tight for space in this pot, but I don’t want it to get that way otherwise it will be an absolute rotter to remove (the top of the pot curves back inwards, which means I wouldn’t be able to pull it out without a fight!).
I set to with a hand fork and got it out relatively easily, then pulled the crown apart – quite a brutal but at the same time careful process – which yielded 3 separate mini-plants, complete with some roots:
I then part-filled some pots with multi-purpose compost, removed any remaining flower stalks and all but 3 or 4 leaves on each new plant (to reduce water loss while they establish) and potted up the divisions:
I then watered them well and placed them in my shady coldframe to grow on.
Of course, you don’t have to pot them up: they could go straight out into a shady spot in the garden, and if you have a lot of plants to divide that’s almost bound to be the best thing to do, but as I only have the one and as I feel I can protect them from pest damage and control their early development more effectively if I put them in pots, that’s how I like to do it.