Diascia from cuttings

It rather looks like the trial diascia cuttings I took a couple of weeks back have rooted:

Image

They are showing nice, new sideshoot growth, so I’m fairly certain there’ll be some rooting going on by now. I’ve removed them from under cover but left them in the shadiest bit of the coldframe, so hopefully they’ll harden up in a few days and I can start growing them on.

This of course means…more cuttings!

I picked over the plants this morning for decent material, but it wasn’t plentiful. Trying to find non-flowering sideshoots was almost impossible, so I took some with tiny flowerbuds on, which I then picked off (I pinch out the tips anyway, so I hope it won’t make too much difference). Each cutting was only 3 or 4 centimetres long, lower leaves removed, trimmed beneath a node and inserted in seed and cuttings compost:

Image

…then placed in my covered tray in the coldframe, where they’re keeping last week’s lamium and phlox cuttings company.

Fingers crossed for the lot of ’em!

UPDATE (August 8th) – https://lakeside67.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/diascia-cuttings-update/

Advertisements

Posted on July 15, 2013, in Techniques. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: